The FAR Australia and Riverine Plains Inc Spring Field Day will be held at the Riverine Research Centre on Thursday 27 September from 9:00am-12:00pm
Discussions will include:
- Winter wheat versus spring wheat – Dr James Hunt, La Trobe University will speak about the
performance of winter wheats and spring wheats over a range of mid-March to late April sowing dates.
- Guest Farmer Speaker – Eric Watson from Wakanui, Canterbury, New Zealand will discuss the farming practices and systems that lay behind his recent world record wheat crop and the work that goes into setting a recognised world record.
- Do winter barley cultivars have a place in the Riverina? – Michael Straight and Nick Poole, FAR Australia
will discuss the difference between this winter germplasm and what is currently grown in the region
- Early sowing of winter wheat in the Riverine Plains Region with rapid results – Rachel Coombes,
Agriculture Victoria Graduate Research Agronomist and Ian Trevethan, Riverine Plains Inc.
- Russian Wheat Aphid – The results of the latest monitoring across SE Australia – Dr Maarten van Helden, SARDI.
- Drought information – Danny Byrnes, Rural Resilience Officer, NSW DPI will outline the network of
services available during the current drought.
The Riverine Research Centre is a partnership between Riverine Plains Inc and FAR Australia. The open day is a terrific opportunity to view and discuss the range of research trials sown locally.
Lunch is provided. Post open day refreshments provided by MARS Petcare with information on the Australian Cool Farm Initiative.