Riverine Plains Inc will be holding it’s 2018 pre-harvest paddock walk and meeting at St James on Thursday 25 October from 1:30pm-3:30pm.
We will be visiting the Beggs family chickpea crops (2 paddocks side by side: 1 paddock burnt and 1 paddock stubble mulched), as well as their vetch crop.
The chickpea crop is located at 119 Beggs Road, St James (northern side of road) while the vetch paddock is located at 1085 St James Road, Yundool.
Discussions on the day will include:
- In-crop management and paddock history for each of the paddocks visited
- Crop topping/dessication
- Harvest management, including header set up & fire safety
- Pulses and soil health, including impact on soil carbon – Dr Cassandra Schefe, Riverine Plains Inc
- Grazing pulses and livestock – Alison Frischke, livestock and farming systems manager, Birchip Cropping Group
- Update on market developments/opportunities for lentil, chickpea and other pulses Phil Bowden, Pulse Australia
Attendees do not need to have attended previous meetings or have any prior knowledge of pulse production. The event is free and all are welcome. Light refreshments provided.
The GRDC Southern Pulse Extension project is delivered by a consortium of organisations involved in the pulse industry across GRDC’s Southern region.